Plastic Bottle Sculpture
Disposable plastic bottle
- String or ribbon
- Heat gun or hair dryer
Artist Beverly Semmes is known for creating oversized dresses and lopsided vessels that defy expectations. Unlike most dresses and vases, you cannot actually wear or use these objects. They are just too big or too uneven to be functional, like her dazzling sculpture Crystal Basket with Tall Handles. You can create your own asymmetrical plastic sculpture inspired by Semme’s work by following the instructions below. This is an great way to recycle an old plastic bottle you have lying around your home.
- Clean and dry the plastic bottle.
- Remove any labels.
- Using scissors, cut off the top and cap of the bottle.
- Cut several long slits into the bottle.
- Using a heat gun or hair dryer, heat the bottle. This will cause the bottle to warp and shrink.
- Use markers to decorate your sculpture.
- Once you have decorated your sculpture, tie a string around it and hang it up.
Share your creations @huntermuseum